Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Preparing my "Ice Breaker" Speech and other speeches


I will be delivering my first Ice Breaker speech project on February 8. I really need to give myself a chance to start the speech projects inoder to get a CTM (Competent Toastmasters) certificate. The "Ice Breaker" is the first speech to be delivered by any member which runs up 10 speech projects to complete the CTM. Now, I'm really confused what to do? Based on the tips for ice breaker speech, this speech is something that you want to tell about yourself. I have been reading about other's ice breaker speeches and some samples but until now I haven't written any introduction not even the title is finished. I think now is the best time to start! I've even schduled my work for a night shift work today just to be able to make a draft and be able to practice it so I can be ready on my first speech day at Toastmasters.

As the tutorial says, an "Ice Breaker" speech only wants to test a speaker if he knows how to construct the three basic parts of speech such as:

  • Opening Statement - a striking fact that audience will be interested about myself
  • Body - three to four points that audience will be interested about me (
  • Conclusion (Ending Statement) - something that could wrap what I have said in the body

The time alotted for the basic "Ice Breaker" speech is only 5-7 minutes.

I need to dig through my diary archives just to get my possible Ice Breaker speech. It's a good thing in writing diaries.... they're not only useful in refreshing your life's achievements and purpose and experiences but they're also a nice resource for composing speeches.

After the first speech I need to undergo the following speech projects:

1) The Ice Breaker
Objectives:
- To begin speaking before an audience
- To discover speaking skills you already have and skills that need some attention.

- Something that talks about yourself.
- This is to test if you are good in making the three basic parts of speech (Opening, Body and Conclusion)
- Make an interesting opening sentence which captures the audience attention
- Select only three to four points and emphasize them by using examples, stories and anecdotes.
- You should make a point, say it again in different words, illustrate the point, and state it once more to be clearly understood.

2) Organize Your Speech

3) Ge to the Point

4) How to Say It

5) Your Body Speaks

6) Vocal Variety

7) Research Your Topic

8) Get Comfortable with Visual Aids

9) Persuade with Power

10) Inspire Your Audience

2 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger ~S said...

Finishing the 10 speeches will earn you a Competant Communicator(CC), not the CTM ..

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Anna Schafer said...

Eisenhower kept Nixon on the ticket. speech recognition program

 

Post a Comment

<< Home